Pages

18.3.09

the wiz

On Friday morning I was handed a note...the kind of note that kids pass to each other in the halls...from a former student's younger sibling.

The note stated that quite a few former WB students were performing in the musical The Wiz at their high school...great heads up. Thank goodness I leave most Friday nights free. After hearing about the performance, another teacher was more than happy to attend the $5.00 performance with me.

Amazed. Rewarded. Proud.

Watching these students sing and dance in front of a room full of people maybe around 150 was amazing. Some of the students even had primary roles. Needless to say, I am incredibly proud of all of them...even the students that weren't on stage but who helped paint the set and make the props and costumes. There were times in which I had taught more than half of the performers.

After the show, I made my appearance known to the girls. One response...since the note was only from one student and the rest had no idea I would come or have even thought of me since they left was

Um, hi...You look really familiar...confused look lasting about .2 seconds...Oh my God!...Ms. Bell!?! Followed with the world's strongest hug, screeches, and more hugs competing for a title...then pictures.

It's always nice to know that you have made a difference in someone's life...no matter how insignificant...and even if it is only a few years after they've left that they remember you.

Also, a BIG thank you to the teacher who braved a long drive, off-key and sometimes non-existent lyrics to go along with kid choreographed dances, and for assisting me to an utterly rewarding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment